Monday, March 04, 2013

Fuel economy Mazda, Toyota, Holden, Nissan, Ford.

I decided to compare the fuel consumption for the top selling vehicles in Australia for 2012 as shown in the list below. However when I went to view Mazda and Toyota specifications, to me the fuel consumption figures were pretty useless. A few years ago the figures provided were basically for city and country driving. Now the figures are combined into a single overall figure and that can make it harder for consumers to make an informed decision.

1. Mazda3 - 44,128
2. Toyota HiLux - 40,646
3. Toyota Corolla - 38,799
4. Holden Commodore - 30,532
5. Holden Cruze - 29,161
6. Hyundai i30 - 28,348
7. Toyota Camry - 27,230
8. Nissan Navara - 26,045
9. Toyota Yaris - 18,808
10. Ford Focus - 18,586

The Toyota Hilux (WorkMate 4x2 Single-Cab Cab-Chassis Petrol Auto) interestingly has a combined fuel consumption of 11.5 L/100km, which to me is quite high. Overall I find it best to measure your own fuel consumption. Fill your tank completely a couple of times and record the distance travelled using the trip meter and the litres used. Then average the results. I like to measure a figure for city consumption and another for country driving. Once I have those figures I can use the Petrol Cost Calculator I wrote to get an idea as to the cost of driving a given distance. Keep in mind the fuel economy reduces as the car ages so over time you may wish to recheck your fuel consumption.

 

Kelvin Eldridge

Online Connections

www.OnlineConnections.com.au

Call 0415 910 703 for computer advice and support.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment