Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Who doesn't love penguins! Melbourne Zoo is livestreaming the penguins.

Who doesn't love penguins!

Today I stumbled over a link to the live stream for the penguins at Melbourne Zoo. Perhaps I was lucky but I got to watch as they fed each penguin and the penguin was released. It was around 9:50am, so perhaps that's a good time to check the live feed, or should I say, live stream.

https://youtu.be/mSI7phzCec8

Now if penguins aren't your thing, really, there's other live streams from Melbourne zoos. You can find the live stream using the following link.

https://www.zoo.org.au/animal-house

Here's a tip.

I noticed the top video had a length of over two hours. If you see a video has a length this is not a live stream, but a recorded video.

For the live stream below the video is a red line. If you move the round dot back along the line you can see what happened earlier in the live stream. For example the live stream for the snow leopard cubs showed nothing in the nest box. However by using the slider to go back in time I was able to see the video of the cubs waking up.

If you tap on the left side or the right side of the screen on your mobile phone you can move around 10 seconds in time either earlier or later. For example when I check the live stream for the penguins now there's nothing there. Not particularly exciting. However if I moved back in time I can find some activity. Then tapping on the left or right of the screen I can move around in time around the activity.

With us now facing the prospect of extended self isolation, perhaps a visit to the zoo using live stream may be an activity worth doing.

Kelvin Eldridge

Update: 2/04/2020
Toronga Zoo in NSW also have a number of live streams available at https://taronga.org.au/taronga-tv

No comments:

Post a Comment