Saturday, August 03, 2013

How much does it cost to make a will?

I've often thought about how much it costs to make a will. A while ago I decided to put my own will together using examples I found in "how to make your own will" kits. I was very happy with the result and other thought it looked very professional. Perhaps I'd missed my calling.
 
So yes you can make your own will and it can cost nothing. The problem however is you don't if what you have created is acceptable or not.
 
I can't help wondering why the government doesn't simply provide a simple to follow website for making a will. The laws are created by the government and when something goes wrong we end having to deal with legal professionals who often charge hundreds of dollars an hour. I suspect there are mistakes that people make with wills, although I've seen people make mistakes with contracts who have retained the services of legal professionals, so nothing in the end is really guaranteed, but we can minimise the risk.
 
JustLocal advertises the services of a couple of legal businesses that can make a will for you and I'm happy to pass on your details if you'd like to contact me.
 
I'm a pretty much do-it-yourself type person, but I do appreciate and call in professionally skilled people as and when required. My personal preference is to work with professionals where I do the work that doesn't require the professional skills and marry that with paying for professional advice when required. A professional crosschecking what you've done is a great way to have peace of mind.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment