Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Checking the punctuation for Vendor's Statement (Section 32) I noticed this important advice.

I've been doing some SEO for the terms Property Lawyers Melbourne and Conveyancing Melbourne and often when doing work for others, I see things which interest me that I later check for myself. In this case it was the apostrophe in Vendor's Statement. Should the apostrophe be there or not? It really is a tougher call than you may think.

There's three variations: Vendors Statement, Vendor's Statement, Vendors' Statement. When possession is considered tenuous as it may be in this case, the apostrophe may not be required. What if there's more than one person selling the home?

Using Search Australia, which is a search I created that limits results from .au sites, we get 1,330, 5,440 for the first two variations respectively, but unfortunately I was not able to obtain a result for the third variation. That's OK because the third variation appears to have less use. Searching did reveal an additional variation which is Vendor Statement. Searching also revealed that even the government sites are not consistent.

At this stage I'll have to reserve judgement. However if in doubt, perhaps it's best to simply use the term Section 32.

As for the advice, here's a snapshot of the screen. For those doing their own conveyancing if something goes wrong, the conveyancers have professional indemnity insurance, whereas generally people doing it themselves wouldn't. I do wonder if that makes any real difference. It is important to consider the risk in this situation. Sometimes it's simply easier to leave it to the professionals.



Kelvin Eldridge
www.Australian-Dictionary.com.au
Preferred Australian English spelling add-ins for Microsoft Office,
Internet Explorer and Mac OSX.


No comments:

Post a Comment