Monday, April 13, 2015

Free for community use advertising to be removed from JustLocal.

When I started JustLocal nearly 10 years ago I decided to build into JustLocal my way of helping the community. I set aside 5% of advertising of the JustLocal service and any time involved. This is not about receiving anything in return, but fitted in with my belief to give as I go.

However perhaps this wasn't such a good idea. It really is great to help others, but small businesses don't have deep pockets and any time and resources given to others directly reduces the ability for the business to survive. It would be lovely if those organisations receiving help from small businesses gave back in some way. A link from their website, letting their members know and encouraging them to use the services of those businesses that help them to survive and serve their members. In nearly 10 years I've only ever seen this happen once.

The bigger picture of JustLocal is to help small local businesses survive. With business in the local area comes employment or self funded income. Money that can be spent in the local community. A reduced impact on our environment with a reduction in travel and associated energy and infrastructure costs.

I've decided to take the hard step of removing the free for community use section of JustLocal. If JustLocal is to succeed then I need to become very focused and use my time more wisely. It really does feel good to help promote local events, but lets face it, there's plenty of people and taxpayers money both locally, statewide and federally that is already spent in that area. Very little if any is effectively used to help the small local businesses, particularly those working from home.

This for me is a really tough decision, however I feel it is a necessary one if I have a chance of achieving my goal with JustLocal.

Kelvin Eldridge
www.JustLocal.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment